Has it really been a month and a half? …

Hey guys,

Wow, it looks like it’s been a month and a half since my last post, oops. Well, I can account for some of the time… sometime near the end of my 10-week illustration class I got the Summer Flu, which lasted about 3 weeks. Shortly after that I had a 3-day stomach thing. Then it was getting the energy to take care of all the stuff that got ignored while I was sick. It’s been a rather long road back to semi-normalcy. Not to mention that the longer I’m away from the blog, the harder it is to return. So I have some stuff to show-and-tell.

I’ve thought about the blog and what to write off and on for weeks, and I’m always torn between just posting a big-ass post where I just get it all out vs. making a couple of smaller posts that I set to publish at some future date. I usually go for the big-ass post though, because I always tell myself that I’ll have new content to post during the pretimed stuff, which I probably don’t, but whatever. I think I’m rambling now… let’s just see what I can write before I get too tired, shall we?

Ok, so I was taking a 10-week illustration class (online), and honestly, I got overwhelmed and then felt inadequate, then a bit burnt out. I was having trouble drawing the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood head on, I just could NOT wrap my head around it.

It all started with wanting to draw a spot where Wolf is stealing Granny’s nightgown, and honestly it was frustrating as hell…

So like with Kevin last year during Inktober, I decided to make a model of him. But the air-dry clay that I used for Kevin was like working with gum and spitwads mixed together. I needed a better clay. I did a bit of research and decided to try Sculpy which you dry/set in your oven.

Sculpy was awesome to work with, I just used my fingers and the butt-end of a paintbrush to make Wolf’s head. I used a bit of aluminum foil as the base, then added clay to that. Overall, I’m kinda proud of it. 🙂

So then the task was to try to draw Wolf now that I had a model. It was a bit easier, but I still didn’t know if I had captured him just yet. I’m still not sure of the eyes…

Meanwhile the class continued on and I progressively felt behind. I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to keep up when I started the class and had intended to do my best and just make sure I watched the videos, knowing I could come back at any time. But it was really hard to turn off the chasing-the-grade brain.

Then I started to feel the beginnings of the flu and suddenly I cared less about drawing and just tried to keep up with the videos. The last week of class I was really feeling the flu; body aches, stuffy head, the whole lot (except coughing, thank goodness). I slept a lot. I didn’t make the last zoom meeting. But no longer cared, I was just too tired.

I also missed the Zentangle classes on Fridays, I slept through one. Didn’t feel like going to the second, also I hadn’t had time to watch the first lesson and felt like I wouldn’t ‘get’ the second session. By the third session, the stuffiness had moved to my ears, I could hardly hear, and wearing headphones was uncomfortable, so I missed that class too (plus I still hadn’t watched the first two sessions). Ugh, it was a vicious cycle. By the time the ‘breather’ class on the fourth week came around I was knee-deep in trying to catch up on all the chores and stuff I didn’t do the three weeks I was sick.

But I did start going through the Zentangle class videos (Organicize 3-part series) at my own pace on the couch on my ipad, using the side-by-side app function while I watched the video and used Procrate to practice.

Once I finished the first class, I played around with coloring it in Fresco…

Then I started on the second class

Yesterday, I went to my Friday Zentangle online class (Found Flowers series) and it was good to get back into the groove.

Slowly I’m coming back to semi-normalcy. It feels like it was a long road back to this place of Adulting. And I still don’t have the energy I had 5-6 weeks ago.

So that’s my long-ass explanation for where and what I’ve been doing for the last month and a half.

This morning Penny got me up early, and it was sprinkling. It doesn’t rain here very often, and I love to photograph water drops. I noticed this spiderweb with water drops and found it striking. I was half asleep taking these, but I think I’m getting back to myself again, which feels nice.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot… I also requested the pups help me figure out Wolf’s face head-on, they were more than happy to help me create some reference photos. Their price: LOTS of treats! 🙂

Ok… this is a really long post. I’m sure I have more stuff, but that will have to be another time.

Until next time…


Kind thoughts and comments are always welcome...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.