Last year I spent most of my time honing my skills in post processing, mainly translating what I knew from Photoshop to GIMP plus learning more things in GIMP.
This year I’ve been trying to get back to taking photos rather than just processing them. I’ve been reading a book called, Picture Perfect Lighting, which is helping me get back to basics. It is intended for people photography, but I feel the concepts can be translated to any type of photography.
I was having some issues with my super macro images having really crappy color – I was spending way too much time trying to ‘fix’ it in post, only to feel frustrated and not satisfied.
Over the course of about a week, I’ve been trying out some of the lighting ideas on some cut flowers. Over the next few days I’ll post the better efforts in groups (sorted by type of flower). First up, Gerbera Daisy…
I’ve been waiting for this one to turn to fluff, but it is just looking really sad… I think Robyn has magical Gerbera Daisies, mine aren’t doing anything except looking like they need to be thrown out.
These two photos were actually taken before I started reading the book… I noticed how pastel this macro shot was, but I have a different Gerbera that the colors just weren’t working out, I’ll post the improved lighting photos of those flowers tomorrow.
Until next time…